WOMEN RUN THE WORLD
2016 MORE/SHAPE WOMEN’S HALF-MARATHON TO HONOR
13 FEMALE LEADERS FOR THE FIRST-EVER
WOMEN RUN THE WORLD™ RELAY & MENTORSHIP PROGRAM
Honorees Including Sara Bareilles, Danielle Brooks and Padma Lakshmi Will Be Paired with Mentees from New York Road Runners’ “Run for the Future” Program to Walk or Run a One-Mile Leg of the 13.1-Mile Race
Meredith Corporation, (NYSE:MDP; www.meredith.com) the leading media and marketing company serving 100 million American women and 72 percent of U.S. millennial women (26 million), today announced that the 2016 MORE/SHAPE Women’s Half-Marathon, hosted by Meredith’s SHAPE magazine in conjunction with the New York Road Runners (NYRR), will celebrate the 13th anniversary of the 13.1-mile race by honoring 13 notable female leaders across multiple industries with its first-ever Women Run the World™ Relay & Mentorship Program.
The race, which will be held on Sunday, April 17, in New York’s Central Park, is one of the largest women’s-only half-marathons in the country, and draws 10,000 female runners and walkers of all ages, from around the world, each year.
The honorees include:
- Sara Bareilles, singer, songwriter and composer of the new Broadway musical Waitress
- Lisa Borders, President of the WNBA
- Danielle Brooks, actress and star of Orange is the New Black and The Color Purple on Broadway
- Jaclyn Emerick, Fitness Director of SHAPE magazine
- Holly Frew, Emergency Communications Manager for CARE
- Elizabeth Gore, Entrepreneur-in-Residence at Dell
- Lori Griffith, Vice President of Special Events and Public Relations for Bloomingdale’s
- Stephanie Laing, Emmy award-winning writer and director, and co-founder of PYPO, a new digital platform supporting female voices in comedy
- Padma Lakshmi, Host of Bravo’s Top Chef, author of the new memoir Love, Loss, and What We Ate, and co-founder of The Endometriosis Foundation of America
- Kim Martin, Chief Strategy Officer of Meredith Corporation
- Jennifer Storms, Chief Marketing Officer of NBC Sports Group
- Zoe Timms, Executive Director of the nonprofit Women’s Education Project
- Ronnie Tucker, Vice President of Marketing and Digital for New York Road Runners
“This race is all about celebrating female strength and camaraderie,” says Elizabeth Goodman Artis, Editor-in-Chief of SHAPE magazine. “We’re excited to take that message and our Women Run the World™ theme even further by recognizing these 13 incredible women who are making a difference in their industries and communities every day.”
In addition to honoring these 13 notable women and showcasing the significant role that women play as leaders and influencers, the Women Run the World™ Relay & Mentorship Program will also highlight the importance of supporting, inspiring and empowering the next generation of women.
Honorees will be paired with a mentee from the NYRR Run for the Future program, which trains New York City high school girls to run their first 5k race, build and strengthen self-confidence, and earn money towards college. Each pair will run or walk a one-mile leg of the course as part of the relay team. In addition, the honorees will invite their mentees to spend a day with them at the office or participate in a Skype conversation.
“It’s very special to highlight our Run for the Future program at the MORE/SHAPE Women’s Half-Marathon this year,” says Ronnie Tucker, Vice President of Marketing and Digital for New York Road Runners. “At NYRR, we want to help young girls develop a passion for running and build confidence, and the Women Run the World™ Relay & Mentorship Program is the perfect platform to do so.”
On race day, supporters and spectators are invited to cheer on runners along the course in Central Park, and visit the Race Day Festival at Naumburg Bandshell to enjoy live music, free samples, giveaways, fun activities and more. There will also be an awards ceremony following the race to celebrate the runners and Women Run the World™ honorees.
NBC’s TODAY and NBC Olympics serve as the Media Partners of the MORE/SHAPE Women’s Half-Marathon. Race sponsors include Danskin Now, Lane Bryant, Maui Jim and Natalie’s Orchid Island Juice Co. CARE, a leading humanitarian organization that empowers women and girls around the globe, serves as the Charity Partner. Bloomingdale’s serves as the Retail Partner, and will be hosting a sold-out Yoga for Runners class the day before the race, on April 16, with proceeds benefitting the NYRR Run for the Future program.
For event updates, inspiration, expert training tips and more, join the conversation on social media through the hashtag #WomenRunTheWorld, and by following:
To register for the 2016 MORE/SHAPE Women’s Half-Marathon, visit http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/2016/moreshape-womens-half-marathon. For race details and additional information, please visit http://moreshapehalf.com/.