HEALTHY HOLIDAY EATING
By Beverly Calero
The holidays are a time of celebration where the family gathers and it’s also the time where food becomes plenty. It’s never easy to fight off temptation during the holidays with so many special dishes around and the all-time notion that “It only comes around once a year!” So with so many rich dishes around, what are we to do? It’s not going to be easy but there are ways to eating healthy during the holiday season!
Here are some tips to help you fight the battle of the bulge before it becomes an issue:
- Give yourself a break! It’s not easy to count the calories during the holidays so instead of stressing, be realistic. Instead of planning to lose weight for the holidays, try to maintain your current weight. This will save you the bouts of guilt that’s associated with gaining a pound or two during the holidays.
- Bring your own (healthy) dish. Instead of worrying what to eat when arriving at parties, bring your own dish to contribute. This way you guarantee yourself a healthy serving among the other goodies.
- Don’t skip meals. The more that you keep to your regular diet during the holidays the greater the chance that you’ll fight off temptation; in short it will keep you from over-indulging at parties.
- Keep track of what you eat. If you know your overdid at one meal, take note, and decide to slow down and go for a lighter menu next time around. Eat until you feel full and satisfied. Try to avoid feeling “stuffed”.
- Be wary of alcoholic beverages. They can be full of empty calories and can lead to over-eating!
- Exercise. It doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to hit the gym for two hours a day but taking light walks around the neighborhood can help keep calories down.
- Allow yourself to indulge (wisely). Pick the holiday treats that you love the most and can only find during the holiday season!
Finally, always remember to enjoy yourself! Have fun during the holidays but always remember that it’s important to stay health-conscious.